Well, the Christmas season is upon us. Many professing Christians (and the world, which should be a hint) call themselves celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. They celebrate by doing the following:
- Singing “Christmas carols” — songs that supposedly reflect the season;
- Going shopping;
- Giving and receiving gifts and cards;
- Thinking of others, especially the “less-fortunate”;
- Getting together with family and loved ones (because of the holiday);
- Holding “holiday parties” at work (because of the season).
For a season and day that’s supposedly in honor of Jesus Christ, the practices are definitely questionable. Those who think otherwise either: 1) Don’t care or 2) Haven’t given it a thought. It doesn’t take much to realize that something’s out-of-order.
For those of us who know (or are willing to listen), God has another perspective for us to consider. Christmas is not a legitimate “holy day”. It’s a rehash of a pagan holiday called “Saturnalia”. Many of today’s practices, celebratory acts, the date of the “celebration”, the willingness to get into debt in order to participate, the feasts, the and even the colors associated with the season are derived directly from Saturnalia. The thought God wants us to consider today is . . .
What if Christmas WAS legitimate???
If Christmas WAS legitimate, the following issues would still be problems (just a few examples):
- The gifts given by the wise men were acts of worship. They weren’t giving “presents” to Jesus. They were recognizing what God had done and were honoring Him.
- The season is used to cultivate the selfishness of children. Think back on your childhood attitude towards Christmas. You weren’t thinking about Jesus. You were thinking about YOU and what YOU could and/or would get or wanted. If you didn’t get what you wanted, you were disappointed. WHY? BECAUSE IT WAS ALL ABOUT YOU!!! God would never ordain a practice that makes provision for the flesh.
- Giving honor unto the Lord is and has always been reserved for God’s sheep. Think about it. After being delivered from Egypt, the heather were not allowed to “celebrate” with the children of Israel. Such acts were reserved for those WITHIN the camp. If Christmas were legitimate, those who do not know God still wouldn’t be able to participate due to their exclusionary status.
- The enemies of the Lord aren’t interested in honoring Jesus Christ and never have. What they’re doing with a season that supposedly honors Him is laying siege to Him and engaging in acts of presumption, while those who profess to know Him sit idly by and do nothing about it.
Folks, no matter how you look at it, Christmas is wrong. So . . . . where do you stand?